Thursday, May 2, 2013

Chickpeas Sundal

Chickpeas Kadala Upperi

Well to start off, i must say that till today morning i didn't know that this dish is known as Sundal. My mother used to make this for breakfast some days and i loved it. I never asked her what is this known as, neither did she tell me. I used to call it 'Kadala Upperi'
If something tastes good, seriously why do you want to know the name for? ;-)

Today morning when i was checking Facebook, i happened to see a photo posted by my friend with title 'Spicy Sundal'. It intrigued me. I did a Google search and was surprised to see that it is the same thing that i have been eating.

When i was working in Bangalore, me and my friend Anu used to go to a Ganapathy temple every weekend. Yes i did pray but the main intention was to eat the 'Prasadam' that we got there. We use to get this along with many other tasty items.

It serves as a breakfast or a snack.

Ingredients (Serves 3)
Chickpeas - 1 cup
Salt
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Green Chilly - 3 nos
Dry Red Chilly - 3 nos
Grated coconut - 4-5 tbsp

Soak the Chickpeas overnight I soaked it for 5-6 hours and it worked fine
Pressure cook chickpeas with water (just enough to reach a bit more than chickpeas) and salt for 3 -4 whistles
Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard. Now add the curry leaves, dry red chillies and green chilly and saute for 30 secs
Now add the cooked chickpeas and mix it well.
Let it cook for 1-2 mins till the spicy oil coats the chickpeas.
Now add the grated coconut and mix well.

Serve hot with a steaming cup of coffee :-)

Happy Snacking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...